We've gathered frequently asked questions about Starborn. If your question is not answered here, please contact us with any questions you may have.
Can I purchase the plugs separate from the screws?
Yes, the plugs can be purchased separately from screws. In addition, both Starborn deck plugs and trim plugs come with the pro plug tool that is used to drive the screws to the correct depth. this pro plug tool has a no cam-out auto-stop, and free spinning stop collar that make installation fast and easy.
Which screw is best for my project?
Screws for Pressure Treated Lumber:
- Deckfast Epoxy color matched screws provide excellent corrosion resistance and is designed for high adhesion at an exceptional value. Approved for use with ACQ treated lumber.
- Deckfast Stainless are a premium quality deck screw available in both grade 305 and 316 for superior corrosion resistance. Approved for use with ACQ treated lumber
- Headcote 305 and 316 screws have a color coated head that is designed to blend with all types of wood decking. Approved for use with ACQ treated lumber.
Screws for Hardwood, Cedar, and Redwood
- Deckfast Stainless screws are premium quality deck screws available in both grade 305 and 316 marine grade for superior corrosion resistance. They are extremely versatile.
- Headcote screws in 305 and 316 grade have a color coated head that blends with all types of wood decking, including cedar, ipe, mahogany, and meranti.
- Deckfast Metal Framing Screws are color matched screws for fastening hardwood decking to Trex Elevations and other metal framing systems.
- Pro Plugs System for Wood consist of screws, plugs made of wood material, and a glue nozzle to attach to glue for proper installation
- Note: Most hardwoods require pre-drilling. Both the Deckfast and Headcote screws match the profile of the Smart-Bit Pre-drilling and Countersinking Tool making it easy to achieve a perfect hole every time.
Screws for Composites or PVC:
- Cap-Tor xd are color matched screws with an undercut head that leaves a clean, uniform finish. Available in 20 different colors to match the leading PVC and composite deck boards on the market.
- Pro Plugs for PVC are available in epoxy coated carbon steel, 305 and 316 grade stainless steel. The plugs are made from the PVC and Composite deck and trim to have match the deck boards.
For Structural Wood to Wood Connections:
- Starborn Structural H19 Screws are designed for wood-to-wood connections in a variety of applications including decking, fencing, pergolas, landscape timbers, timber framing, and more.
- Starborn Structural H23 Screws are specifically designed to attach deck ledgers to rim joists.
- Starborn Structural F23 Screws are designed for heavy duty framing applications including decking, fencing, pergolas, landscape timbers, timber framing, and more.
- Starborn Structural F23-E Screws and F23-W Screws are specifically designed for interior multi-ply beam connections. F23-E screws are designed to fasten LVL, LSL, and PSL multi-ply beams. F23-W screws are designed to fasten 2x sawn lumber multi-ply beams.
How can I find out what color screws will match my deck?
Starborn has a color match for all of the top brand deck colors. Use the Color Match Guide (pdf) to select the best color for your deck.
What type of screw should I use if I live near the ocean?
For applications exposed to salt air, near large bodies of water, swimming pools or other areas where corrosion is more likely to occur, use a marine grade 316 stainless steel screw. They are available in Cap-Tor xd, Deckfast, and Headcote screws.
Do I need to pre-drill?
- Hardwoods: Pre-drilling is typically required. Use the Smart-Bit Pre-drilling and Countersinking Tool to create the perfect hole and perfect fit every time.
- Pressure treated lumber: Pre-drilling is not required, unless it’s required by the decking manufacturer.
- PVC Boards: Pre-drilling is not required, unless it’s required by the decking manufacturer.
- Composite Boards: Pre-drilling is not required, unless it’s required by the decking manufacturer.
What type of screw should I use for cement board?